Faculty Rank Assistant Professor or Associate Professor
Beginning Date of Appointment Summer 2019 (anticipated)
Position # 084121
Type of Position Full Time
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Number of Months per Year 12 months
● ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science or equivalent. Related PhD fields will also be considered.
● Demonstrated knowledge of electronic resource management and access.
● Experience managing a knowledge base, link resolver, ERMS, or discovery service.
● Comfort with negotiating prices and terms with vendor representatives as well as investigating consortia options for resources.
● Knowledge of or experience with working with an Integrated Library System or a Next-Generation (NextGen) system.
● Experience organizing projects.
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to work individually and within a team environment.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Additional Areas of Interest (No Minimum Level Required)
● Experience supporting electronic resource life cycle activities in an academic library.
● Experience evaluating and analyzing electronic resource usage
● Experience with license review.
● Experience recommending and performing resource customizations with vendor technical support as needed.
● Knowledge of copyright issues, scholarly communication developments, or open access initiatives.
● Up to-date knowledge of the electronic resources discovery landscape and new initiatives within the library community.
● Strong analytical skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities The University Libraries at Appalachian State University seeks a proactive and creative Electronic Resources Librarian to join the Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM) team to support our electronic resources in the areas of troubleshooting, budget management, resource usage analysis, and license review. This position supervises two staff members in the Electronic Resources unit. This position reports to the RAM Coordinator (Head of Technical Services) and will work closely with the Lead Acquisitions Librarian. We seek to recruit and retain a talented and diverse faculty. Candidates who are members of underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Librarians work in a collegial team-based environment, are members of the University faculty, and engage in active programs of scholarship and professional service. The Library offers strong support for professional development activities, including publishing, presenting, and attending conferences and workshops.
● Manages the life cycle of electronic resources (trials, acquisition, license review, access management, renewals, and cancellations).
● Acts as primary point of communications with vendors, publishers, consortia, and library faculty/staff for electronic resources.
● Troubleshoots electronic resources and manages access within the discovery service, knowledge base, and link resolver. Appalachian State University subscribes to EBSCO’s EDS suite of services.
● Coordinates proxy stanza updates in EZproxy.
● Monitors electronic resources fund expenditures and tracks against the budget allocations.
● Works with vendors and data to forecast future budget year projections to meet sustainability goals.
● Actively works to ensure renewals come in at budget-supported costs.
● Manages electronic resource usage collection and analysis to support collection management, budget processes, and annual reports.
● Recommends and leads electronic resources projects including. discovery service customization, optimization of electronic resources, accessibility, and open access initiatives.
● Takes initiative to develop preventative maintenance workflows, makes recommendations, and investigates opportunities.
● Participates in professional development and keeps up-to-date on current electronic resources and discovery trends.
● Works closely and collaboratively with other library teams to create a productive electronic research environment for students and faculty.
Special Instructions to Applicants Applicant must submit (1) a cover letter addressing the minimum qualifications and additional areas of interest, (2) a full C.V. including education and relevant experience, and (3) the name, address, email, and telephone number of three to five references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position.
Salary and rank are determined on the basis of qualifications and experience. Information about tenure, promotion, and other faculty responsibilities is found in the University Faculty Handbook http://facultyhandbook.appstate.edu We invite all applicants for employment with Appalachian State University to complete our voluntary Affirmative Action data collection survey. This brief survey can be accessed at https://appstate.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3qi0evGEN1mmEq9
Initial Review Date Review of applications will start January 31, 2019; however applications will continue to be reviewed until position is filled.
Person and address to whom the application should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: E-Resources Librarian
Description of Department or Unit University Libraries of Appalachian State University consist of the Belk Library and Information Commons and the Erneston Music Library and employ 85 library faculty and staff. Belk Library is a beautifully designed and popular facility with over 1 million visits per year. We are a member of the Western North Carolina Library Network (WNCLN). Additional information about the Library, the University, and the surrounding area may be found at http://www.appstate.edu, https://library.appstate.edu, and https://hr.appstate.edu/hr-services/employment.
University Libraries seeks to recruit and retain a talented and diverse faculty. Candidates who are members of underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Our employees work in a collegial and collaborative environment, and the Libraries offer strong support for professional development. We value diversity of thought, perspective, experience and people, and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. Library employees are committed to collaborating to create a welcoming multicultural environment and therefore seek candidates who can contribute to this goal. More information on the University Libraries Diversity & Inclusion Plan can be found at https://library.appstate.edu/sites/library.appstate.edu/files/diversity_inclusion_plan_2018_10_04.pdf
Search Committee Chair Name Jennifer Brosek
Search Committee Chair Email Address
Seated Disability Statement Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.
Description of the University Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
AA/EEO Statement Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity Statement Appalachian State University is committed to developing and allocating resources to the fundamental task of creating a diverse campus culture. We value diversity as the expression of human similarities and differences, as well as the importance of a living and learning environment and conducive to knowledge, respect, acceptance, understanding and global awareness. Learn more at http://diversity.appstate.edu
Background Check Statement Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report. For more information, please visit http://www.hrs.appstate.edu/employment
Eligibility of Employment Proper documentation of identity and employability will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.