Position Title: Assistant/Associate Professor in Teacher Education
Department: Curriculum and Instruction
Description of duties, responsibilities and qualifications:
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction in the Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University seeks qualified candidates to fill a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Teacher Education.
Qualifications for the position include the following:
● Earned doctorate (ABD considered) in Teacher Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or closely related area;
● Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate candidates, in pre-service and advanced programs both online and face-to-face.
● Record of K-12 teaching experience, minimum 3 years, such experience in public schools preferred;
● Evidence of scholarly potential required, established record of scholarship/creative activity preferred;
● Engaging in service to the department, college, university, and profession;
● Commitment to working in a community of practice, to a social constructivist perspective of teaching and learning, to the integration of field experiences in professional coursework, and to working with diverse populations;
● Eligibility for North Carolina teaching licensure required.
Primary responsibilities include teaching pre-service education courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Pre-service education courses may include elementary education methods, as well as, professional core courses (assessment, technology media integration). Other opportunities may include participating in partnerships with area schools, field supervision, and teaching at off-campus sites. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Appalachian State University is a member institution of the sixteen-campus University of North Carolina. Located in Boone, North Carolina, the university has approximately 18,000 students, primarily in bachelor’s and master’s programs in both liberal arts and applied fields. Appalachian has both a traditional residential campus and a variety of distance education programs. Additional information about the Reich College of Education (https://rcoe.appstate.edu/), Department of Curriculum & Instruction (https://ci.appstate.edu/), the university, and the surrounding area is located at: http://www.appstate.edu.
Applicants must send a complete electronic application consisting of a letter of application, vita, unofficial graduate transcripts, and names and contact information of five professional references as pdf or word documents. Applications should be sent to Dr. Lisa Poling at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Teacher Education Position” clearly in the subject line. The initial review of complete applications will begin February 3, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Dr. Lisa Poling. Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report. Documentation of identity and employability of the applicant will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.