The Plan's website is www.shpnc.org
Customer Service 1-888-234-2416.
Health Plan Options
The State Health Plan offers a range of health benefits to all eligible state employees, teachers, retirees and other individuals identified in the North Carolina General Statutes. The Plan's mission is to improve the health and health care of North Carolina teachers, state employees, retirees, and their dependents, in a financially sustainable manner, thereby serving as a model to the people of North Carolina for improving their health and well-being.
The State Health Plan offers three preferred provider organization (PPO) plans. PPO plans offer the freedom of choice among in-network providers, lower out-of-pocket costs and a strong emphasis on preventive health. Two of the plans, the Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP) and the Enhanced 80/20 plan, offer financial incentives for taking steps to improve your health.
- Visit www.shpnc.org to learn detailed information on specific plans.
- Once you've identified the plan that is right for you, enroll online.
- Eligibility: Permanent employees working three quarter time or more are eligible to participate in the State Health Plan.
- Enrollment: Eligible employees must enroll within 30 days of date of hire.
- Coverage begins the first day of the month following your hire date.
- Employees can choose from the following coverage options:
- Employee Only
- Employee + Child(ren)
- Employee + Spouse
- Employee + Family
- Dependent children up to age 26 may be covered.
- Plan Year: January 1 through December 31
- Lifetime Maximum: Unlimited
Cost of Coverage
The university covers the cost of employee only coverage for permanent employees with a minimum ¾ time appointment for the 70/30 plan. Eligible employees pay the full cost for dependent coverage. We also have the 80/20 plan as well as the Consumer Directed Health Plan with a HRA account. Employee pays a minimal premiums for their coverage and full cost of dependent coverage.
Premiums are paid on a pre-tax basis.
You may add or drop dependents within 30 days of a change in family status or other qualifying event . You must make the change online within 30 days of the family status change or qualifying event or wait until the next annual enrollment period to make changes. Coverage begins the 1st day of the month. (Newborns have to enrolled for the first of the month of birth.) Social Security number must be provided for all dependents as well as documentation of the change(Birth Cert., marrriage cert. proof of coverage etc) Back premiums will be deducted in the next payroll. Annual enrollment is during the month of October with the change in coverage effective January 1st.
For additional information contact your HR Benefits counselor at 828-262-3187 or visit http://www.shpnc.org.
NCFlex is the program of pre-tax benefit plans available to employees. It's a great way to save money on those benefits you want and need. Employees save about 25% - 40% on most NCFlex benefits because contributions are made on a pre-tax basis.
NCFlex offers eight benefits:
- Health Care Spending Account
- Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Care Plan
- Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Cancer Insurance
- VOYA Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
Changing your NCFlex Election
You will not be able to cancel or change coverage, including flexible spending account amounts, until the end of the plan year unless you have a qualified family status change. Changes without a qualified family status change are not allowed in NCFlex benefits during the plan year in accordance with Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Service code. If you wish to change your elections, you must notify your HR benefits counselor of any change in status within 30 days of the event. The changes you want to make to your benefits must be consistent with the change in your status.
Examples of qualified family status changes are:
- birth or adoption of a child
- spouse becomes employed/unemployed
- you or your spouse change from part-time to full-time employment (or vice-versa)
- you or your spouse take an unpaid leave of absence
More examples of qualified family status changes can be found in the NCFlex Enrollment booklet. Contact your HR benefits counselor at 828-262-3187 for additional information.
Medical and NCFlex Enrollment and Re-enrollment
- Enrollment is during the first 30 days of employment or within 30 days of a qualified family status change.
- The Health Care Spending Account and Dependent Day Care Spending Account require re-enrollment every year during annual enrollment in October (effective January).
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is general in nature. Applicable laws and regulations are complex and subject to change. Information on this website cannot alter, modify, or otherwise change the controlling documents of any plan. For legal and tax advice employees should consult an attorney or tax adviser.