New Employee Orientation and Onboarding
Welcome to Appalachian State University!
The Office of Human Resources provides a comprehensive New Employee Orientation and Onboarding course in AsULearn, the University’s online learning management system. As required training for all new, full-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty, and temporary employees, the course may be completed during regularly scheduled work hours. It is designed to introduce new employees to the 4 Cs at App State:
- Culture – Campus-wide expectations, customs, rituals and values. In other words, our “personality” and what it’s like to work here.
- Clarification – Job training, departmental onboarding and setting individual goals and performance expectations with your manager using monthly checklists.
- Connection – Developing professional relationships, networking, exploring the campus and getting involved in the community.
- Compliance – The laws, rules, policies and values all Mountaineers must know and apply on the job.
Getting Started At App State!
We are honored that you have decided to join the App State community. Our University is a great place to work, and we strive to create a workplace environment that values integrity, diversity, and balance. We have included a step-by-step guide to aid with your transition so that you will know what to expect as you onboard to App State.
Step 1: New Employee Paperwork
- Login to the PeopleAdmin Onboarding Module
- Use your email address as your username and the temporary password sent to you from Human Resources with the subject line "Employment Forms- Appalachian State University". You will then be prompted to create a new password.
- Create a new password (be sure to retain this information for future use)
- Complete all tasks (forms) in the Needs Attention tab
- Review, sign, and approve all forms (see example below)
- ID Verification Requirement: Visit the Office of Human Resources to present acceptable forms of identification to an HR representative by your first day of employment
Step 2: New Employee Orientation (NEO)
- Monitor your email (the address you used to apply for your position) for a New Employee Orientation Invitation
- Attend orientation where you will:
Step 3: 90-Day Onboarding Program
- Monitor your @appstate.edu email account for instructions on how to access the Onboarding Course
- Complete all activities and trainings in the course - topics covered in the onboarding course
- Upon completion of the 90-day onboarding period, you will be encouraged to complete a feedback survey as your responses will help us improve the onboarding experience for future new employees.
All new hires must report to the Office of Human Resources within their first three days of employment to complete the I-9 employment verification process. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and an appointment is not necessary.
New Employee Orientation Dates 2023
New employees should monitor their email for information and instructions on how to access the online New Employee Orientation and Onboarding course on their first day of work as listed below.
|Tuesday||1/3/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||122 Roan Mountain Room (PSU)|
|Tuesday||1/17/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-C Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||2/6/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||2/20/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||3/6/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||3/20/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||4/3/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||102 Watauga River Room (PSU)|
|Monday||4/17/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||5/1/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||122 Roan Mountain Room (PSU)|
|Monday||5/15/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||122 Roan Mountain Room (PSU)|
|Monday||6/5/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||TBD|
|Monday||6/19/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||TBD|
|Monday||7/3/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||TBD|
|Monday||7/17/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||TBD|