New Employee Orientation and Onboarding
Welcome to Appalachian State University!
The Office of Human Resources provides a comprehensive New Employee Orientation and Onboarding course in AsULearn, the University’s online learning management system. As required training for all new, full-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty, and temporary employees, the course may be completed during regularly scheduled work hours. It is designed to introduce new employees to the 4 Cs at App State:
- Culture – Campus-wide expectations, customs, rituals and values. In other words, our “personality” and what it’s like to work here.
- Clarification – Job training, departmental onboarding and setting individual goals and performance expectations with your manager using monthly checklists.
- Connection – Developing professional relationships, networking, exploring the campus and getting involved in the community.
- Compliance – The laws, rules, policies and values all Mountaineers must know and apply on the job.
"Overall, this has been one of the most efficient and productive orientations I have been a part of. My official title is "Empowering Teacher Learning Navigator". The role is specifically geared toward a shift in professional development from traditional "sit and listen" methods to Self Directed Learning. I feel like you all have nailed it on the head! You gave us enough information in a relatively short period of time for us to then continue learning on our own, with accountability built in.
The community engagement piece is one of the most beneficial pieces of the puzzle for me. You have added incentive to exploring departments that will be beneficial to us as employees." (New Employee, September 2023)
Getting Started At App State!
We are honored that you have decided to join the App State community. Our University is a great place to work, and we strive to create a workplace environment that values integrity, diversity, and balance. We have included a step-by-step guide to aid with your transition so that you will know what to expect as you onboard to App State.
Step 1: New Employee Paperwork
- Login to the PeopleAdmin Module
- Use your email address as your username and the temporary password sent to you from Human Resources with the subject line "Employment Forms- Appalachian State University". You will then be prompted to create a new password.
- Create a new password (be sure to retain this information for future use)
- Complete all tasks (forms) in the Needs Attention tab
- Review, sign, and approve all forms (see example below)
- ID Verification Requirement: Visit the Office of Human Resources to present acceptable forms of identification to an HR representative by your first day of employment
Step 2: New Employee Orientation (NEO)
- Talk with your new manager to determine the most appropriate orientation and onboarding program.
- Monitor your email (the address you used to apply for your position) for a New Employee Orientation Invitation
- Attend orientation where you will:
Step 3: 90-Day Online Onboarding Course
- Monitor your @appstate.edu email account for instructions on how to access the Onboarding Course
- Complete all activities and trainings in the course - topics covered in the onboarding course
- Upon completion of the 90-day onboarding period, you will be encouraged to complete a feedback survey as your responses will help us improve the onboarding experience for future new employees.
All new hires must report to the Office of Human Resources within their first three days of employment to complete the I-9 employment verification process. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and an appointment is not necessary.
New Employee Orientation Dates 2023
New employees should monitor their email for information and instructions on how to access the online New Employee Orientation and Onboarding course on their first day of work as listed below.
|Monday||8/21/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Tuesday||9/5/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||9/18/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||10/2/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||10/23/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||169 Three Top Mountain (PSU)|
|Monday||11/6/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||11/20/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||12/4/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||137-A Plemmons Student Union|
|Monday||12/18/2023 9:00am - 12:00pm||TBD|