Until further notice, our regular New Employee Orientation (NEO) program will be suspended and replaced with an alternate program in which critical information for new hires will be provided virtually. During this time, in the absence of scheduled NEO, all new hires will have to report to the Office of Human Resources within three days of their start date to complete the I-9 employment verification process and to enroll in benefits. New employees should monitor their email for additional updates in online programming.
Welcome to Appalachian State University!
We are honored that you have decided to join our staff and Appstate family. Our university is a great place to work, and we strive to create a workplace environment that values integrity, diversity, and balance. The Office of Human Resources provides a comprehensive New Employee Orientation (NEO) program for all new staff. To be effective and to attain organizational training goals, attendance is required for all full-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty, and temporary employees. During NEO you will be provided with key information regarding University policies, safety, and service. You will also be taken on a tour of our campus and get your AppCard Staff ID.
We use NEO to:
- Welcome new employees and to help them understand the many reasons we are proud of ASU and our people;
- Provide new hires with information and resources that support their success in their new jobs;
- Train new hires on important topics, such as workplace safety;
- Complete new employee paperwork requirements; and
- Assist eligible new hires with the completion of their benefits elections (retirement, health insurance and other benefits).
We offer two NEO sessions each month and all new hire start dates will be scheduled to correspond to one of these session dates. Orientation sessions will begin at 8:30 am. Non benefit- eligible employees will be finished after the morning session (approximately 12:00 pm) to report to their hiring department. Benefit eligible employees will return for benefits orientation in the afternoon. Please click here for a tentative Orientation Schedule.
- Employees are considered to be "new hires" if they
- have been hired into their first positions at ASU,
- are rehires who have not been employed at ASU for at least one year, or
- are rehires who have not previously attended a NEO.
- New hire start dates will be scheduled to align with a scheduled NEO session. This will be done through the hiring proposal process in Human Resources, in collaboration with hiring manager.
- An online alternate NEO will be available for cases in which it is critical to business need for a new hire to begin employment before the next scheduled NEO session. We intend for this option to be utilized only as a rare exception.
Orientation is held on the first and third Monday of every month from 8:30am - 3:30pm, and breakfast is provided!
We look forward to welcoming you to our campus! If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Ramsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (828) 262-2271.
2020 Orientation Dates
|1/6/2020 Mon||Belk Library, 114|
|1/21/2020 Tue||Plemmons Student Union, 417 Beacon Heights|
|2/3/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|2/17/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|3/2/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 137C Attic Window|
|3/16/2020 Mon||*Virtual NEO*|
|4/6/2020 Mon||*Virtual NEO*|
|4/20/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|5/4/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|6/1/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 417 Beacon Heights|
|6/15/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 417 Beacon Heights|
|7/6/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|7/20/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|8/3/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|
|8/17/2020 Mon||Plemmons Student Union, 169 Three Top Mountain|