As we previously communicated, the approved State Budget for Fiscal Year 2017-18 provides a one-time award of three days (24 hours) of Special Bonus Leave to eligible leave-earning state employees. The Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) has issued its guidance on application of this special leave and the leave hours are now available for use.
The following conditions apply to the Special Bonus Leave award:
- The special leave award applies to employees in permanent, probationary or time-limited, leave-earning appointments as of July 1, 2017.
- Part-time leave-earning employees are awarded an amount of hours proportionate to their FTE value.
- Leave-earning employees who work less than 12 months are awarded an amount of hours proportionate to their appointment term.
- Unlike previous bonus leave awards, this special leave may only be applied to time off and will not have cash value upon separation from employment.
- Unused leave will not expire except upon separation of employment in state service.
- The special leave may be used prior to accrued compensatory time, vacation leave, other bonus leave or sick leave, at the employee’s discretion.
- The special leave may not be donated as Voluntary Shared Leave.
- The special leave must be used prior to using donated Voluntary Shared Leave.
- The special leave award is effective July 1, 2017. Any eligible employee who has applied another form of leave to an absence occurring on or after July 1, 2017 may elect to submit an amended time sheet to apply the special leave instead. Instructions for amending previously approved time sheet can be found on the Payroll Office’s website at: https://payroll.appstate.edu/amended-time-sheets.
The full OSHR Guidance and FAQ’s can be found below:
Eligible employees may log into Banner Self-Service to view their special leave balances. To apply the special leave, it must be coded as SLV (special leave taken) on time sheets and leave reports.
If you have additional questions, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 262-3187.