The UNC System Securian Life Insurance & Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) plan is offered to all eligible Appalachian State University employees. This plan provides coverage for employees, spouse/domestic partners, and children. Deductions for this plan are taken on an after-tax basis. Rates increase the following January 1 after a participant hits one of the five-year rate bands. You may request coverage up to the maximum amount. The amount requested over the guaranteed issue amount is subject to approval by Securian and requires a statement of health.
- Employee Coverage: Multiples of 1x-8x salary up to a maximum of $1,000,000
- Spouse/Domestic Partner Coverage: $10,000 or $25,000 up to $250,000.
- Child Coverage: $10,000 (All eligible dependent children are covered under one plan at the same premium amount.)
As a new employee, within your first 30-days of being hired, you may enroll in a guaranteed issue amount of coverage without a Statement of Health. During annual enrollment, or within 30 days of a Qualifying Life Event those already enrolled in Securian coverage may increase employee-only coverage on a guaranteed issue basis by 1 times salary up to $500,000 as long as coverage has not been denied previously.
- Employee Coverage: lesser of 3 times base salary, not to exceed $500,000
- Spouse/Domestic Partner Coverage: $50,000
- Child Coverage: $10,000 (no statement of health required)
Evidence of Insurability
Evidence of Insurability (Statement of Health), is required when an employee elects more than the guaranteed issue amount noted above.
- Coverage elections greater than the guaranteed issue amounts
- Elections made after 30-day new hire enrollment period, or elections made due to qualifying life event
- Applicants previously denied coverage by Securian under this plan
Securian Life Insurance, dependent term life insurance, and voluntary group term life insurance coverage ends upon your termination from the university or loss of eligibility. You may be able to continue all or a portion of your insurance through portability or convert it to an individual policy. Conversion vs. Portability
Retirees have the option to continue coverage through Securian’s Voluntary Retiree Life Insurance Plan. VRL-Voluntary Retiree Life