Performance management is a process that promotes conversation and feedback between supervisors and employees. The performance appraisal system is also a valuable tool to develop individual capacity and skill. Appalachian State University provides the AppState Careers performance management module as a tool for setting meaningful goals and evaluating employees fairly and consistently across the organization.
Tutorials and Guides
- Performance Plan Creation for 2019-2020
- Performance Plan - Interactive Tutorial
- Employee Self-Appraisal
- Probationary Performance Plan and Appraisal
- Searching the Supervisor Dashboard - Find plans/appraisals for previous years
- Navigating and Searching
- Supervisor Appraisal
- Calibration Document (PDF, 204 KB)
- Institutional Goals Document (PDF, 298 KB)
- UNC System Policy Presentation (PDF, 219 KB)
- UNC System Program Overview (PDF, 971 KB)
- UNC General Administration Website (resources including sample performance plans)
In April 2016, the UNC System approved a new SHRA Performance Appraisal Policy (PDF, 46 KB) which standardizes performance expectations for all SHRA employees in the University system. These standards have been incorporated into our upgraded AppState Careers system. In addition, the UNC System approved new Regulations for EHRA Non-Faculty employee performance appraisals, that have also been incorporated into the AppState Careers system.
Timeline and Workflow
The performance cycle for all staff will run from April 1st to March 31st each year.