Appalachian provides a full range of benefit programs and services which support and enhance the employment relationship of faculty and staff.
Comprehensive benefit programs are an essential part of one's total compensation and are designed to provide income security for future needs, assist with meeting the costs of health care, and provide a generous program of paid time off to help balance the demands of work and family.
To view your Benefits package, log into your Employee Self Service account. You can also view your payroll information along with entering your time.
All permanent, full-time and three-quarter-time employees (employed for the full academic year) at Appalachian State University are eligible to participate in the benefit programs listed on this web site.
Permanent half-time employees are eligible to participate in the Health Plans by paying full cost. Tax Sheltered Annuities and the North Carolina Flexible Benefits Plan NCFlex are also available to permanent half-time employees.
All medical enrollment must be completed within 30 days of your hire date. All retirement forms must be completed and returned to the Benefits Office within 60 days of your hire date.
New Employee How to Enroll Video (demonstrates how a new employee enrolls in the State Health Plan via eEnroll).
- Employees that do not complete the required medical enrollment within 30 days of hire will not have medical coverage until the enrollment has been completed.
- Those employees that do not complete the required retirement forms within 60 days of hire will be placed into the State Retirement System automatically. Once this is done, it can not be changed.
- The link below provides information related to the benefits portion of the training for SPA employees. Please note: the presentation below can not substitute for the training requirement.
- Benefit Orientation Presentation (PPTX, 297 KB)
- For more information on the orientation, see New Employee Orientation.
- You are entitled to a free University Parking permit for non-gated lots. If you wish to purchase a pass for a gated lot, the cost will be $100.
- You may continue using your University ID Card at any of the Recreational Facilities and Belk Library free of charge.
- You will need to have your ID Card re-validated each year.
- Please contact the Office of Human Resources for the appropriate form for re-validation.
- All faculty and staff who wish to maintain a University email address into retirement will be issued a new email@example.com account.
Please click here for a list of HR Benefits forms.
Benefit Vendors Phone Numbers
- Vendor Phone Numbers (PDF)
- Benefits Summary
- Mandatory Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plan
- Guide to Investing in the UNC Retirement Programs
- Income Protection Program
- State Retirement Presentation (TSERS) (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Optional Retirement Plan Presentation (ORP) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
Leaving Employment with Appstate
- Leaving the University (PDF)