Appalachian provides a full range of benefit programs and services which support and enhance the employment relationship of faculty and staff.
Comprehensive benefit programs are an essential part of one's total compensation and are designed to provide income security for future needs, assist with meeting the costs of health care, and provide a generous program of paid time off to help balance the demands of work and family.
To view your Benefits package, log into your Employee Self Service account. You can also view your payroll information along with entering your time.
All permanent, full-time and three-quarter-time employees (employed for the full academic year) at Appalachian State University are eligible to participate in the benefit programs listed on this web site.
Permanent half-time employees are eligible to participate in the Health Plans by paying full cost. Tax Sheltered Annuities and the North Carolina Flexible Benefits Plan NCFlex are also available to permanent half-time employees.
All medical enrollment must be completed within 30 days of your hire date. All retirement forms must be completed and returned to the Benefits Office within 60 days of your hire date.
- Employees that do not complete the required medical enrollment within 30 days of hire will not have medical coverage until the enrollment has been completed.
- Those employees that do not complete the required retirement forms within 60 days of hire will be placed into the State Retirement System automatically. Once this is done, it can not be changed.
- The link below provides information related to the benefits portion of the training for SPA employees. Please note: the presentation below can not substitute for the training requirement.
- Benefit Orientation Presentation (PPTX, 297 KB)
- For more information on the orientation, see New Employee Orientation.
- You are entitled to a free University Parking permit for non-gated lots. If you wish to purchase a pass for a gated lot, the cost will be $100.
- You may continue using your University ID Card at any of the Recreational Facilities and Belk Library free of charge.
- You will need to have your ID Card re-validated each year.
- Please contact the Office of Human Resources for the appropriate form for re-validation.
- Retirees maintain the usage of their e-mail account with the University. Sign into your e-mail account using MyASU.
Benefit Vendors Phone Numbers
- Vendor Phone Numbers (PDF)
- Benefits Summary
- Mandatory Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plan
- Guide to Investing in the UNC Retirement Programs
- Income Protection Program
North Carolina State Health Plan
- State Retirement Presentation (TSERS) (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Optional Retirement Plan Presenation (ORP) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
Leaving Employment with Appstate
- Leaving the University (PDF)
Domestic Partner Information
Faculty Benefits Orientation
Our benefits team has scheduled 2 sessions for Faculty Benefits Orientation. You may choose to attend either session to learn about benefits you are being offered.
Session 1 - Wednesday, August 16, 2017 @ 10AM
Session 2 - Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 10AM
Both sessions will be held in Belk Library Lecture Hall Room 114
In lieu of attending the classroom orientation, you may review your benefits at http://old.northcarolina.edu/hr/ga/neo/index.html
We are excited to have you as a member of the Appalachian family. If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 828-262-3186.