Health and Wellness
Health Promotion - Provides staff, faculty, and spouse or significant other with information, programs, and services to promote a healthy lifestyle and good quality of life. Major components of the program include exercise classes, dietary assistance, and health screenings.
Health and Wellness - Confidential counseling services are available through Counseling for Faculty and Staff to help with personal problems, especially when they interfere with work performance. Assistance is available at no cost to staff, faculty, and their immediate family members.
University Recreation (UREC) - University Recreation (UREC) offers a variety of opportunities for recreation, such as:
- Fitness and Informal Recreation includes The Quinn Center, The Life Fitness Center, at Mount Mitchell gyms, and the Student Recreation Center.
- Club Sports is designed to offer students, faculty, and staff a competitive outlet on a non-varsity level.
- Outdoor Programs includes kayaking, caving, hiking, rock climbing, canoeing and more. Check-out equipment or participate in activities.
- Intramural Sports activities offer the opportunity to compete against peers in a friendly and structured environment.
- Swimming pool is available in the new Student Recreation Center.
ASU Child Development Center provides quality care for the children of ASU students, faculty, and staff. Activities include time for playing individually, in groups, instructional activities introduced through learning centers, outdoor activities, rest, and nutritional snacks. Parent fees are based on a sliding scale according to annual family income.
Lucy Brock Child Development Laboratory Program is to model currently accepted best practices in the field of early childhood education, as well as to apply innovative approaches. Provides majors across the university a hands-on experiences of working with young children to enhance their knowledge of child development, and provides quality early experiences to the local children to prepare them for public school.
The Reich College of Education supports the Learning Partners program which provides tutoring training to students. The students then deliver tutoring services for local school children during a full semester while enrolled in ASU's introductory course to teacher education.
Parent to Parent provides information and support for families who have a premature infant, a child with a disability or chronic illness or a family who has experienced the death of their child.
ASU also offers a quality Communications Disorders Clinic whose primary purpose is the provision of "hands-on" clinical learning experiences for students. The secondary purpose is the provision of quality professional services to persons in the region. The Clinic provides services to children with language and reading disabilities regardless of their family's ability to pay for these services.
ComPsych - Appalachian State University Employee Assistance Program (Register before using)
Library Privileges - The Belk Library & Information Commons campus-wide library system has one of the premier collections in the South. You may check out books by using your ASU ID Card.
Notary Public Services - Notary Public services are available for University-related forms in the Office of Human Resources. Please call Stacy Clarke at 828-262-7872 or Angie Miller at 828-262-6769 for an appointment.
State Employees Combined Campaign - The SECC is the only workplace-giving program authorized for payroll deduction for most state employees. In 1984, Governor James B. Hunt issued an Executive Order establishing the campaign, and since then each Governor has actively supported the SECC.
University Writing Center
The University Writing Center is located in Belk Library. This department offers:
- Free services to students, faculty, and staff of Appalachian State University.
- Anyone who would like to discuss a piece of writing with an informed, sensitive reader is welcome.
- Works with writers on a wide variety of projects: papers for academic courses; masters and senior thesis chapters; personal essays for job, graduate school, and law school applications; creative writing projects; grant or project proposals; and course syllabi.
- Work with writers at any stage of the writing process, from inventing topics to editing at the sentence level.