Separation from the University
The employee, supervisor, and HR all play key roles in the separation process. Checklists are provided that include action items to be completed prior to the employee’s last day of work. Utilizing these checklists AS SOON AS NOTICE IS GIVEN will ease the transition for both the employee and the department.
The separation action is what is used to notify Human Resources of the separation and begins the separation process. It is critical that these are entered timely to ensure proper offboarding and to avoid overpayments of payroll.
The following information is provided to assist individuals separating from employment, both voluntary and involuntary, with Appalachian State University. If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources by calling 828-262-3187.
For the Supervisor:
- Guide to Completing Separation Actions in AppState Careers Site (PeopleAdmin) (PDF, 160 KB)
- Separation Notice for Non-Student Temporary Employees - paper form (PDF, 480 KB)
- Checklist for Supervisors - EHRA Non-Faculty/SHRA Staff Separations
For the Employee:
- Separation Checklist for Employees
- Exit Interview for EHRA Non-Faculty
- Exit Interview for SHRA Staff
- Sample Resignation Letter (DOCX, 12.1 KB)
If you are considering retirement, please visit our Retirement page or schedule an appointment with a member of our Benefits Team by calling 828-262-3187.