All permanent full-time and three-quarter time employees (employed for the full academic year or for a minimum of 9 months out of the year) contribute to a retirement plan provided through Appalachian State University.
Eligible staff employees participate in the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement Plan (TSERS).
Eligible State Law Enforcement Officers participate in the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement Plan for State Law Enforcement Officers (LEORS).
TSERS and LEORS are both a defined benefit plan; the value of your retirement benefit is based on a predetermined formula.
Faculty and EPA administrators, who are employed permanently at least three-quarter time, have a choice between the two types of retirement plans:
- The Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System (a defined benefit plan)
- The Optional Retirement Program (ORP) a defined contribution plan. Each retirement program is a qualified retirement plan under the Internal Revenue Codes.
A brief summary of each plan can be seen by clicking on the appropriate link below.
- Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System (TSERS)
- Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System for State Law Enforcement Officers (LEORS)
- Optional Retirement Program
- ORP Enhancements
For instructions on how to begin the Retirement Process (in preparation for retirement in the future) view First Steps Towards Retirement.
- Health Promotion
- Nutrition Resources
- University Recreation (UREC)
- Appalachian Events
- Appalachian Summer
- Belk Library
- Athletics Department